flickr facebook twitter digg stumbleupon feed

Under Financing TB Healthcare in Uganda 2013 to 2017

Uganda’s first national tuberculosis (TB) survey which was conducted by the Ministry of Health in 2015 estimates that Uganda has 87,000 TB cases annually; an annual prevalence rate of 253/100,000; and a rate that is higher than had previously been thought.

High level Government of Uganda officials, such as the Minister of Health, Hon. Dr. Jane Ruth Aceng, moreover,  acknowledge that Uganda’s “TB burden has continued to cause an enormous health challenge to the people of Uganda and is a big public health challenge to the health system in Uganda. Additionally, TB presents an economic challenge and impacts negatively on the livelihood of our people.” It is therefore baffling that Uganda national budgets for TB management are consistently underfunded.

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO) annual TB report for the financial year 2016/2017, for example,  the budget for Uganda’s national TB programme is US$ 54 million (nearly 196 billion shillings), of which only 29% is funded, leaving 71% (about 139.2 billion shillings) not funded.

Worse still, of the 29% (about 56.9 billion shillings) of the national TB programme budget that is funded, only 3% (about 5.9 billion shillings) is covered from domestic sources; while 26% (about 51 billion shillings) is covered by external grant funding; confirming Ministry of Health reports that global initiatives provide Uganda with the bulk of resources needed for TB.

See here for analyses of Uganda TB budgets for Uganda for 2014 to 2017 as Extracts from WHO TB Country Profiles.

Photo Credit: Mr. Alex B. Okello, CPAR Uganda Ltd Finance Committee Chair, surprised to learn about the extent of the scourge of TB in Uganda and the manner in which the fight against TB it is currently underfunded. This was during a meeting of the CPAR Uganda Ltd General Assembly at which the CPAR Uganda Ltd Managing Director shared the preliminary findings of the a qualitative investigation on TB that was conducted by CPAR Uganda Ltd as part of the project: Tuberculosis: Working to Empower the Nation’s Diagnostic Efforts (TWENDE).


Tuberculosis: Working to Empower the Nations’ Diagnostic Efforts (TWENDE)
Disclaimer: This is among the products of the TWENDE project that is part of the EDCTP2 programme supported by the European Union.  Whereas, the EDCTP Association and the European Union provided funding for the TWENDE Project, the views herein expressed are not necessarily those of the EDCTP Association or those of the European Union.



Top updates

Weapons of Mass Destruction video Released 03 Mar 2018

“This is so relatable,” exclaimed a Ugandan Youth Woooow! That is exactly what is happening in...

More detail
Weapon of Mass Destruction in Uganda 22 Feb 2018

 For full screen view, please click on this link https://goo.gl/GA2EBY     

More detail
Report on Training Qualitative Research Investigators 18 Feb 2018

Deducing from the trainees’ evaluation of the training, it is the conviction of CPAR Uganda Ltd that...

More detail

Twende Related